1. Global South Summit
Why in news: India to host second Voice of Global South Summit
• The summit would focus on sharing the key outcomes achieved in various G20 meetings over the course of India’s Presidency with the countries of the Global South.
• The sessions will be hosted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• The first edition of the Voice of Global South Summit was hosted by India in virtual format in the month of January this year.
2. Bharat Gaurav Tourist Train
Why in news: Indian Railways in collaboration with IRCTC to launch Bharat Gaurav Tourist Train
• Purpose: To promote Dekho Apna Desh and Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiatives
• The train aims to showcase India's rich cultural and religious heritage to both domestic and international tourists.
1. Tuvalu (Capital: Funafuti)
Why in news: Australia inked an agreement with Tuvalu to offer residency to its citizens displaced by climate change.
• It is believed to be first nation to face climate change-induced complete submersion.
• It is a nation of nine coral islands and is not landlocked.
• Bordering nations: Kiribati and Nauru, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu, Tokelau and Fiji, Samoa, Wallis and Futuna, and Tonga.
• This Archipelago is volcanic in origin and includes both atolls and reef islands.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:
1. National Health Claim Exchange (NHCX)
Why in news: National Health Authority (NHA) and the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India have joined hands to operational NHCX.
Seamless interoperability of health claims processing.
• It is a digital health claims platform developed by NHA.
• It will reduce receivable cycles and increase acceptance of cashless claims, standardize the claims process and facilitate insurance innovation.
1. A Children’s Climate Risk Index Supplement Report
Why in news: UNICEF releases The Climate-Changed Child: A Children’s Climate Risk Index Supplement report
• The report builds on UNICEF’s Children’s Climate Risk Index (CCRI) components i.e., Water scarcity (physical availability of water) and Water vulnerability (combination of water scarcity and lack of access to drinking water service).
• Almost 1 billion children are exposed to high or extremely high-water stress.
• India, Niger, Eritrea, Yemen, and Burkina Faso had the highest overall child exposure to high or extremely high-water vulnerability.
• Children, particularly those in low-income communities, are highly susceptible to the negative effects of climate change.
2. Report: Learning for Large-Scale Transformation in School Education
Why in news: NITI Aayog released the report Learning for Large-Scale Transformation in School Education
• This is the outcome report on the Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital in Education (SATH-E) project implementation in Jharkhand, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh.
• Despite similar enrolment, India has five times more schools than China.
• Over 50% of primary schools in many Indian states enroll fewer than 60 students.
• Approximately 2-5 lakh untrained teachers in primary and upper primary levels, failing to meet the Right to Education requirements.
• Jharkhand merged 4,380 schools, resulting in savings of Rs 400 crore through reduced teacher and infrastructure requirements, thus optimizing resources.
3. ‘State of State Finances 2023-24’ Report
Why in news: PRS Legislative Research released the ‘State of State Finances 2023-24’ Report
• Status of revenue receipts: States’ revenue receipts have returned to the pre-pandemic level.
• Revenue deficit: Despite the revenue deficit grants by the Centre, several states have continued to face revenue deficits.
• Impact of GST: State Goods and Services Tax (SGST) collections as a percentage of Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) remain below pre-GST levels.
• With the GST compensation grants having ended in June 2022, there has been an adverse impact on some states.
• Expenditure on subsidies: Over the last several years, states have allocated 8-9% of their revenue to subsidies, mainly for power.
• There's a noticeable increase in subsidies for non-merit goods in various states.
• Power distribution companies (DISCOMS): In 2021-22, state DISCOMS cut financial losses, but many still carry substantial debt.
• This is a contingent liability for states and poses financial risks.
• Capital outlay by states: States continue to have a high level of committed expenditure, and persistent revenue deficit, thus constraining capital outlay
4. Nationally determined contributions under the Paris Agreement Synthesis Report 2023
Why in news: UNFCCC secretariat releases nationally determined contributions under the Paris Agreement Synthesis report 2023
• World is off track to Paris Agreement goals: Implementing latest NDCs will increase emissions by approximately 8.8% by 2030, relative to 2010 levels.
• Emissions need to be cut by 45% by 2030, compared to 2010 levels to achieve Paris Agreement goal (IPCC report, 2018).
• Indigenous Peoples and local communities: 40% of Parties outlined the roles of local communities and rights of Indigenous Peoples in adaptation components of NDCs.
• This includes addressing the specific vulnerabilities of Indigenous Peoples, emphasizing the importance of utilising indigenous knowledge to enhance climate efforts, etc.
• Gender-sensitive approach: Parties are increasingly recognizing gender integration as a means to enhance the ambition and effectiveness of their climate action.
1. National Press Day (16 November)
Why in news: The day is observed on 16th November every year to commemorate a free and responsible press.
• The theme for National Press Day 2023: “Media in the Era of Artificial Intelligence”.
• It was on this day that the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog to ensure that the press maintains high standards.
• Since the year 1997, the Council has commemorated the day in a significant way through seminars with relevant themes.
1. Labour Department Schemes
Why in news: Madhubani tops and Nalanda at the bottom, selection was done on nine parameters of labour department schemes
• The Labour Resources Department has released the ranking of districts across the state.
• In this, Madhubani is at the top in providing the benefits of departmental schemes to the people.
• Darbhanga is at second place and Samastipur is at third place.
• At the same time, Nalanda is at the lowest position.
• Silkyara Tunnel, which was seen in the news, is associated with which state-Uttarakhand
• SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket successfully launched which mission from the Vandenberg Space Force Base in California-the Transporter-9 mission
• Which ministry has put forth a proposal to establish consistent Cyber Security and Management Systems (CSMS) regulations for specific categories of both passenger and commercial four-wheeled vehicles-The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
• Which minister has inaugurated the 3rd Hockey India Senior Women Inter Department National Championship 2023 at Shivaji Stadium-Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Hon’ble Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Housing and Urban Affairs
• Which country’s startup She-Guard won top Climate Innovation Competition-Pakistan
• Recently, prime minister Narendra Modi marked the celebration of which day at Birsa College, Khunti, Jharkhand on 15th November 2023-‘Janjatiya Gaurav Diwas’
• Which popular online chat service, has announced its closure-Omegle
• Which organisation has issued a stark warning, revealing that greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere reached unprecedented levels in 2022-The United Nations’ World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
• 9th India International Science Festival is to be held in which city in January 2024-Faridabad
• Who has been honoured with first ‘Lifetime Disturbing The Peace Award’-Salman Rushdie
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF