1. Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra
Why in news: PM Modi to launch Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra on the occasion of birth anniversary of Birsa Munda (15 November 1875)
• Mr Modi will launch ‘Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra’ to ensure saturation of flagship govt schemes.
• The aim of the Yatra is to reach out to people and create awareness and provide benefits of welfare schemes.
• He will release the 15th installment of about 18000 crore rupees under PM-KISAN and dedicate to nation.
• He laid the foundation stone of multiple development projects worth around 7200 crore rupees in Jharkhand on this occasion.
• He will flag off IEC (Information, Education and Communication) vans in Khunti, under ‘Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra’.
2. Supreme Court
Why in news: Supreme Court's judgment on Governors
• SC in a writ petition observed that Governors can’t sit on Bills passed by Assembly.
• It is not constitutionally valid for the Governor to question how the Speaker exercised his jurisdiction on adjournments of the House.
• The governor could assent to the Bills, withhold assent, and send them back with a “message” to reconsider them or refer them to the President.
• The governor is intended to be a constitutional statesman
• Its duty is also to guide the government on matters of constitutional concern.
1. Global Media Congress
Why in news: Global Media Congress kicked off in Abu Dhabi exploring Innovation and Sustainability
• The second edition of the Global Media Congress commenced at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, UAE.
• The conference features 36 sessions covering environmental media, innovation, youth participation, and media training.
2. Lake Titicaca
Why in news: Experts have found that Lake Titicaca is shrinking due to climate change
• Ninety-five percent of the water loss from the lake is due to evaporation, which shows that this is totally or almost totally caused by climate change.
• Location: It is situated between Peru (to the west) and
• Bolivia (to the east).
• It lies between Andean ranges (longest mountain range) in a vast basin that comprises most of the Altiplano (high Plateau).
• It is the largest freshwater lake in South America.
• It is the highest (amongst the world's large lakes) navigable body of water in the world.
1. 10th ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting-Plus
Why in news: Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to attend 10th ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting-Plus in Jakarta
• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will attend the 10th ASEAN Defence Ministers' Meeting-Plus (ADMM plus) in Jakarta, Indonesia, from 16th of November to 17th of November.
• During these sessions, the Minister will discuss issues related to defence cooperation.
• The ADMM is the highest defence consultative and cooperative mechanism in ASEAN.
1. Government e-marketplace (GeM)
Why in news: Government e-marketplace (GeM) surpassed ₹2 Lakh Crore in Gross Merchandise Value (GMV)
• GMV of ₹2 Lakh Crore in less than eight months of FY 2023-24 has been crossed, which surpasses the total GMV inscribed at the end of last fiscal year (2022-23).
• GeM is the Public Procurement Portal for procurement of goods and services for all Central Government and State Government Ministries, Departments, Public Sector Units (PSUs) and affiliated.
• The purchases through GeM by Government users have been authorized and made mandatory by the Ministry of Finance.
Significance of the GeM Portal:
• It makes the public procurement process transparent, efficient and inclusive.
• It saves the exchequer's money.
• It provides the opportunity for MSEs, startups and women entrepreneurs.
SCEINCE & TECHNOLOGY:
Why in news: US has approved world's first vaccine for chikungunya named Ixchiq.
• Ixchiq contains live, weakened version of the chikungunya virus.
• It is a viral disease transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes.
• Fever, arthralgia and rash are common symptoms.
• First identified in Tanzania in 1952, and generally seen in Africa, Southeast Asia and parts of Americas.
• It can be passed from a pregnant mother to an unborn child and can be fatal to newborns.
• So far there is no treatment.
• It is included in India’s National Vector Borne Diseases Control Programme
2. Euclid Space Telescope
Why in news: First images from Euclid space telescope were released recently.
• Euclid is a European Space Agency mission designed to unlock the
• Secrets of dark matter and dark energy.
• Universe is composed of normal matter (Visible constitute about
• (5%) Dark matter (about 25%) and Dark energy (about 70%).
• Unlike normal matter, dark matter does not interact with the
• Electromagnetic force.
• Dark matter does not absorb rejects or emit light, making it extremely hard to spot.
• Dark energy is the name given to the unknown energy source that is causing our Universe's expansion to accelerate.
3. Thalidomide Tragedy
Why in news: Australia will issue a national apology to all citizens affected by the "Thalidomide tragedy".
• Thalidomide is a sedative drug prescribed to pregnant women in order to relieve pregnancy nausea in the 1950s.
• It was later found to cause malformation of limbs, facial features and internal organs in unborn children.
• The thalidomide tragedy demonstrated the need for strictly enforced regulation of drug testing, marketing, dispensing, and use.
• Researchers have recently identified a new species of gecko in India, named ‘Cyrtodactylus vairengtensis’ especially in which Indian state-Mzoram
• Which state has witnessed highest level of pollution, according to data from the National Clean Air Campaign (NCAP) released recently-Delhi
• Which city is gearing up for the annual Sadar festival, a lively celebration centered around buffalo cattle-Hyderabad
• What is the name a new metric to measure methane emissions, claiming it offers a more accurate assessment of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by adopted by some of the world’s major meat and dairy companies have adopted-GWP star
• Which island is making history by establishing the world’s first marine protected area dedicated to safeguarding the endangered sperm whale-The Caribbean island of Dominica
• Scientists in California have made a significant breakthrough by discovering a ‘kill switch’ that triggers the death of which disease’s cells-Cancer cells
• Who has assumed Command of Indian Navy’s Western Fleet-Rear Admiral CR Praveen Nair
• How many states have recorded a higher rate of inflation compared to the national average in October 2023-Nine states
• Some 1,400 Myanmar nationals took refuge in which Indian state-Champhai district of Mizoram
• Who became the first Indian woman cricketer to be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame-Former captain Diana Edulji
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF