1. World Animal Health
Why in news: New Delhi to host 33rd Conference on World Animal Health
• 33rd Conference of World Organisation for Animal Health (WOAH) Regional Commission for Asia and Pacific began on 13th November 13, in New Delhi.
• Participants: 36 member countries including India
• Senior officers from regional and international organizations and representatives from the private sector and private veterinary organizations will participate in the conference
• Objective: To underscores the necessity to enhance resilience and capacity in Veterinary Services for future challenges.
• India’s representative: Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Parshottam Rupala.
1. Dubai Airshow 2023
Why in news: The 18th edition of the highly anticipated Dubai Airshow kicked off on November 13, at Dubai World Central (DWC)
Theme: The Future of the Aerospace Industry
Objective: To explore the latest trends and opportunities in aviation, space, and defence.
2. Intense Earthquakes in Grindavik
Why in news: Iceland declared state of emergency fearing volcanic eruption after series of intense earthquakes in Grindavik
• Since 2021, Iceland has witnessed volcanic eruption almost every 12 months, with the latest occurring in July south of Reykjavik, the capital.
• Iceland is situated on a tectonic plate boundary.
• It continuously undergoes splitting, pushing North America and Eurasia away from each other along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
• The country is home to 32 active volcanoes.
3. 4th Edition of BONGOSAGAR-23, 5th Edition of CORPAT
Why in news: 4th edition of BONGOSAGAR-23, 5th edition of CORPAT held between Indian and Bangladesh navies at Visakhapatnam
• The 4th edition of the Bilateral Exercise between the Indian Navy and Bangladesh Navy, BONGOSAGAR-23, and the 5th edition of Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) by the two navies were held at Visakhapatnam.
• Indian Navy Ships Kuthar, Kiltan and Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) Dornier participated in the exercise.
• CORPAT-23 also included the maiden Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief drills held between the two navies.
4. The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)
Why in news: Almost 50,000 people displaced in past two weeks due to fighting in northern Myanmar: UNOCHA
• In the biggest military challenge to the junta since it seized power in 2021, an alliance of ethnic armed groups launched an offensive against it late last month.
• Rebel groups such as Arakan Army, Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA) and Ta’ang National Liberation Army have joined forces to establish the Three Brotherhood Alliance.
• Junta leader: General Min Aung Hlaing
• Myanmar's borderlands are home to more than a dozen ethnic armed groups, some of which have fought the military for decades over autonomy and control of lucrative resources.
• Large-scale drug production and trafficking has long been a problem in the border areas.
5. World Bank
Why news: World Bank approves $150m aid to bolster Sri Lanka's financial sector
• The World Bank has approved $150 million to strengthen Sri Lanka's financial and institutional sectors.
• The Financial Sector Safety Net Project is designed to boost the financial and institutional capacity of the Sri Lanka Deposit Insurance Scheme (SLDIS), which is managed by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka.
• The SLDIS was established in 2010 and has conducted several payouts for failed licensed finance companies in recent years.
• Cash-strapped Sri Lanka has a total foreign debt of $46.9 billion.
• Sri Lanka was hit by its worst economic crisis in history in 2022 when its foreign exchange reserves fell to a critical low.
6. Air Defence System
Why in news: Israel Announces Sale Of Air Defence System To New NATO Member Finland
Israel's defence ministry announced a 317 million euro ($340 million) deal for the sale of its David's Sling air defence system to new NATO member Finland.
Why in news: Globally, 21 million tonnes of plastics leaked into environment last year: OECD
• The interim report, “Towards Eliminating Plastic Pollution by 2040: A Policy Scenario Analysis” says that in 2022, 21 million tonnes (MT) of plastics leaked into the environment globally
• The report by the intergovernmental organisation, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) was released on November 11, 2023.
• The INC3 will be held in Nairobi, Kenya from November 13-19, 2023 for an international binding agreement on plastic pollution.
• As per the report, plastics use would continue to grow, leading to a 50 per cent increase in leakage of macroplastics into the environment by 2040 — meaning about 30 MT of plastic would leak into the environment, of which 9 MT would enter aquatic environments.
• Primary plastics use would stabilise at 2020 levels by 2040.
Why in news: WHO unveils framework for climate resilient and low carbon health systems
• Framework aims to enhance the resilience of health systems while simultaneously reducing greenhouse gas emissions to help safeguard the health of communities worldwide.
Its Key Objectives includes:
1. Guiding health sector professionals through collaboration.
2. Developing comprehensive and practical strategies (e.g. national climate change and health strategy), plans (e.g. health component of National Adaptation Plan (HNAP) etc.
3. Defning roles and responsibilities for health decision-makers.
• Framework proposes interventions around the 10 components (see infographic)
• Framework is important to implement the Alliance for Transformative Action on Climate and Health (ATACH) goals.
• ATACH, a WHO initiative, established in 2022, is an informal voluntary network which works to realize the ambition set at COP26 to build climate resilient and sustainable health systems.
1. National Divyangjan Finance and Development Corporation
Why in news: Govt announced one percent interest rate rebate to Divyang under National Divyangjan Finance and Development Corporation
• Objective: To further enhance financial inclusion and foster economic empowerment among the persons with disabilities
• Reducing the financial burden on divyang individuals seeking financial assistance and encouraging responsible repayment practices
1. ICC Board
Why in news: ICC Board suspends Sri Lanka Cricket’s membership of ICC with immediate effect
• Cause: Sri Lanka Cricket is in serious breach of its obligations as a Member
Why in news: Dhiraj Bommadevara secures berth for Paris Olympics in Asian Continental Qualifier Tournament
• In archery, Dhiraj Bommadevara won the country's first archery quota for the 2024 Olympics in Paris.
• Dhiraj Bommadevara obtained the quota in the men’s recurve event by winning a silver medal at the Asian Continental Qualifier Tournament 2023 in Bangkok, Thailand.
3. 37th National Games in Goa
Why in news: The 37th National Games 2023 concluded in Goa.
The 37th National Games 2023 concluded in Goa.
• The grand closing ceremony took place at Shyama Prasad Indoor stadium in Panaji in the presence of Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar, Indian Olympic Association President P T Usha, Chief Minister Dr Pramod Sawant and others.
• The torch for national games was handed over to Uttarakhand as 38th National Games will be organized there.
• Final medal tally chart:
• Arignar Anna Zoological Park (AAZP), Vandalur received a pair of Himalayan black bears from which zoo-the Jambu Zoo, Jammu and Kashmir.
• Which programme will be launched on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (25 November)-‘Nayi Chetna – 2.0’
• India’s net direct tax collections grew by what percent to ₹10.6 lakh crore by November 9-21.8%
• Enforcement Directorate seizes USD 3 million property from which corporate-Hero MotoCorp’s Munjal
• Were deactivated after missing deadline for linking with Aadhaar-11.5 crore PAN cards
• Which country approved first vaccine against chikungunya virus for those over 18-U.S.
• India finishes Asian Archery Championships in Bangkok with how many medals-seven medals comprising three gold, a silver & three bronze.
• Lok Sabha Ethics Committee adopted a report recommending the expulsion of which Party MP from the Lower House over a “cash-for-query” allegation-Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra
• Which high court said that ban on online gambling won’t apply to poker, rummy-Madras High Court.
• Indian seafarers were safely brought back from Iran onboard which vessel-Advantage Sweet
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF