1. Nepal Earthquake
Why in news: Nepal Earthquake: At least 128 killed, 140 injured
• In Nepal, at least 128 people were killed and 140 injured when a magnitude-6.4 earthquake shook northwestern part of the country .
• In 2015, a 7.8 magnitude earthquake killed some 9,000 people and damaged about one million structures, causing many billions of rupees in damage.
2. The first International Cruise Liner in India
Why in news: Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal flags off maiden voyage of vessel Costa Serena from Mumbai
• Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways Sarbananda Sonowal flagged off the maiden voyage of the vessel Costa Serena, from Mumbai on 3rd Nov 2023.
• It is the first International Cruise Liner in India.
• this initiative is a step towards fulfilling Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of “Dekho Apna Desh”.
3. World Food India 2023
Why in news: PM Modi Inaugurated ‘World Food India 2023’ in New Delhi
• PM Modi officially opened the second edition of ‘World Food India 2023’ at Bharat Mandapam, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi recently.
• During the inauguration, the Prime Minister also extended Seed Capital Assistance to over one lakh members of Self Help Groups (SHGs) to strengthen these groups.
1. China’s Belt & Road Initiatives
Why in news: Philippines announces exit from China’s Belt & Road Initiatives
• The Philippines has announced to exit from China’s Belt and Road Initiatives.
• As per the Philippine Senate, doubt now shrouds nearly all of China's crucial investment initiatives in the Philippines, owing to economic and political factors.
• The Belt and Road Initiative is a massive China-led infrastructure project that aims to stretch around the globe.
• It was adopted by the Chinese government in 2013.
2. Trade Embargo against Cuba
Why in news: UN General Assembly votes against US' economic and trade embargo against Cuba
• The UN General Assembly voted by a large margin against the US' economic and trade embargo against Cuba.
• It was first imposed in 1960.
3. Russia’s Ratification of Global Nuclear Test Ban
Why in news: Russian President Vladimir Putin signs a Bill, revoking Russia’s ratification of global nuclear test ban
• Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a Bill revoking Russia’s ratification of a global nuclear test ban.
• The CTBT, adopted in 1996.
• It bans all nuclear explosions anywhere in the world, but the treaty was never fully implemented.
• In addition to the U.S., it is yet to be ratified by China, India, Pakistan, North Korea, Israel, Iran, and Egypt.
1. India's 11th Paris Olympics
Why in news: Asian ShootingChampionships: Manu Bhaker secures India's 11th Paris Olympics quota in Korea
• In shooting, Manu Bhaker secured the 11th Paris Olympics quota place for India.
• She finised fifth in women’s 25-metre sports pistol at the Asian Championships in Changwon, Korea.
• Manu is the second shooter after 10-metre air pistol marksman Sarabjot Singh to clinch an Olympic quota in the pistol events.
• India has so far won seven quota places in rifle events and two each in shotgun and pistol in men’s and women’s sections.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:
1. Ecological Threat Report 2023
• The number of people living in countries facing severe ecological threats is expected to surge to 2.8 billion by 2050, up from the current 1.8 billion.
• The IEP’s Ecological Threat Report 2023 highlights that over half of the countries facing severe threats are located in sub-Saharan Africa.
• Among the 30 countries identified as hotspots for severe ecological threats and low societal resilience, 19 are located in sub-Saharan Africa.
1. Bihar to expand Integrated Emergency Service 'Dial 112' in Rural Areas
Why in news: A proposal for the expansion of integrated emergency service
• The Bihar government approved a proposal for the expansion of integrated emergency service ‘Dial 112’ in rural areas of the state.
• The cabinet sanctioned Rs 766.71 crore for the expansion of the integrated emergency service 112.
• It is an all-encompassing emergency helpline number to access police, fire brigade, ambulance and other services in rural areas of the state.
• Till now, the Dial-112 service was available in Patna and the district headquarters.
• Under Mission Sagar-II INS Airavat has been sent to which country with food aid-Sudan
• Who has been elected as new President of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU)-Duarte Pacheco
• Which country has started operating its First nuclear power plant-Belarus:
• Indian Coast Guard (ICG) ship C-452 was commissioned in which state-Ratnagiri, Maharashtra.
• Which country has granted tax free status to Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) of Abu Dhabi-India
• Which organisation has released the ‘Impact of Disaster on Agriculture and Food Security-FAO
• Which is the world’s first country to successfully sterilize and vaccinate its entire stray dog population-Bhutan
• Which organisation has issued a circular directing banks, payment service providers, and other stakeholders to enable the ‘Hello! UPI’ feature in their apps by March 31-NPCI
• Which organisation has launched Integrated Expenditure Monitoring Software to file Expenditure Statement by political parties-ECI
• India has signed Mobility and Migration Partnership Agreement signed with which country-Italy
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF