1. Alternative Facility of Postal Ballot
Why in news: EC of India provided alternative facility of postal ballot to elderly aged, disabled and Corona-infected
• In the upcoming polls of five States, the Election Commission of India has provided the alternative facility of postal ballot to the elderly aged 80 years and above, the disabled and Corona-infected voters.
• For the Assembly elections in Chhattisgarh, elderly people of 80 years of age or above, disabled people and corona-infected persons are being given this facility.
2. India Abstains in UN General Assembly
Why in news: India abstains in UN General Assembly from voting on draft resolution submitted by Jordan
• India abstained in the UN General Assembly from voting on a draft resolution submitted by Jordan.
• The draft called for an immediate humanitarian truce between the Israel and Hamas terrorists in Gaza.
• Besides India, countries that abstained included Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, Ukraine and the UK.
3. Baijnath Aggarwal
Why in news: Baijnath Aggarwal, trustee of Geeta Press Gorakhpur passed away
• Baijnath Aggarwal, the trustee of Geeta Press Gorakhpur, has passed away at the age of 90 today.
• Gita Press of Gorakhpur was conferred the Gandhi Peace Prize 2021.
4. SARAS Ajeevika Mela
Why in news: Union Minister Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti inaugurated SARAS Ajeevika Mela
• Minister of State for Rural Development, Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, inaugurated the SARAS Ajeevika Mela.
• It showcased the best of crafts by rural Self Help Group (SHG) Women at Gurugram.
• This is the second edition of Saras Ajeevika Mela.
• The SARAS Mela, organised by the Ministry of Rural Development, National Institute of Rural Development, and Panchayati Raj, is an initiative to support livelihood enhancement initiatives.
1. Hurricane Otis
Why in news: Hurricane Otis makes landfall on coast of southern Mexico
• In Mexico, Hurricane Otis has made landfall on the coast of southern of the country, bringing wind speeds of up to 270 kilometre per hour.
• A hurricane warning is in effect for a 350km-long stretch of coastline between the coastal towns of Zihuatanejo and Punta Maldonado in the state of Guerrero.
2. Joint Future Combat Drills in South Korea
Why in news: US and South Korean militaries hold joint future combat drills
• In Gangwon Province in South Korea, the US and South Korean militaries held joint future combat drill exercises.
• The training was an attempt at modernising their military and improving their responses to North Korea's nuclear and missile threats.
• A replica of North Korean capital Pyongyang was built for the training in the mountains of Inje.
1. Foodgrain Production
Why in news: Foodgrain production during current Kharif season expected to cross one thousand 485 lakh metric tonnes in country
• The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare released the first advance estimates of production of major Kharif crops for 2023-24.
• It is expecting the foodgrains production of the country to be at over one thousand 485 lakh metric tonnes.
• According to the release, over one thousand 63 lakh metric tonnes of rice production is estimated.
• Maize production is expected at over 224 lakh metric tonnes and pulses (Tur, Moong, Urad) production to be at 63.31 lakh metric tonnes.
• Sugarcane production would be at four thousand 347 lakh metric tonnes.
2. Matru Vandana Yojana
Why in news: More than 14,000 crore rupees transferred to more than 3 crore beneficiaries under Matru Vandana Yojana
• According to the Union Minister of Women and Child Development and Minority Affairs, more than 14 thousand crore rupees has been transferred to more than 3 crore beneficiaries under the Matru Vandana Yojana.
• The scheme is intended to provide partial compensation for wage loss in terms of cash incentives.
• The cash incentive would aid in addressing health behavior among the pregnant and lactating women.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:
1. iPhones in India
Why in news: Tata Group soon to start production of iPhones in India
• Tata Group will soon start production of iPhones in India.
• Tata Group will start making iPhones from India for domestic and global markets.
1. Joint Naval Exercise between the EU and India
Why in news: First-ever joint naval exercise between the EU and India in the Gulf of Guinea
• India and the EU carried out their first combined naval exercise in the Gulf of Guinea.
• The exercises involved personnel transfers, flying drills, and boarding operations involving the Indian Navy's INS Sumedha as well as ships from Italy, France, and Spain.
1. Indian Para Athletes Create History
Why in news: Indian para athletes create history at Hangzhou Asian Para Games; Bag 111 medals including 29 Gold
• In the Asian Para Games at Hangzhou in China, Indian contingent clinched a record-breaking 111 medals.
• They won 29 gold, 31 silver, and 51 bronze medals, placing the country fifth in the medal count.
• This remarkable feat supersedes India’s previous best of 72 medals, which was recorded in the 2018 edition of the Asian Para Games in Indonesia.
2. Sundar Singh Gurjar smashed the World Record
Why in news: In the men's F46 javelin event, Sundar Singh Gurjar smashed the world record with a gold throw
• With a throw of 68.60 meters in the men's javelin throw-F46 event, Sundar Singh Gurjar broke the world record, winning gold and creating new Asian and Games records.
• India swept the podium with Rinku and Ajeet Singh taking silver and bronze, respectively.
• In terms of fintech unicorns, which country comes first-USA
• First Wind Tunnel is to Be Vertical installed in which state-Himachal Pradesh
• Which programme was introduced to honour the nation's martyrs As a part of the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav-Meri Mitti Mera Desh
• Which state declared the closure of six toll booths on state highways-Haryana
• Who is set to take over as prime minister of Slovakia-Robert Fico
• Which country launched Shenzhou 17 from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre, demonstrating its aspirational space programme-China
• India's First Reference Fuel Is Introduced by which oil company To Meet Domestic Demand-Indian Oil
• Which country is the host of the ‘Three Basins Summit’-Republic of Congo
• Who has been Elected New US House Speaker-Republican Mike Johnson
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF