1. Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
Why in news: Centre declares National Liberation Front of Tripura, All Tripura Tiger Force and their factions as unlawful associations under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
• The Central Government has declared the National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT), All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) and their factions as unlawful associations under the Unlawful Activites (Prevention) Act.
• The Home Ministry has banned these organisations for five years.
• The Ministry said, the government is of the opinion that the activities of NLFT and ATTF are detrimental to the sovereignty and integrity of India and that they are unlawful associations.
2. India-Japan Fund
Why in news: NIIF and JBIC launch 600 million India-Japan Fund to facilitate collaboration and investment in field of climate and environment
• The National Investment and Infrastructure Fund and Japan Bank for International Cooperation, JBIC have tied up to launch a 600 million US dollar India-Japan Fund.
• This joint initiative will facilitate collaboration and investment between India and Japan in the field of climate and environment.
• According to the Finance Ministry, the Government of India will contribute 49 per cent of the corpus and the remaining 51 per cent will be contributed by JBIC.
• This fund mechanism will promote Japanese investments in India by focussing on investing in environmental sustainability and low carbon emission strategies.
3. 50th India International Knit Fair
Why in news: 50th India International Knit fair to be held from October 12 to 14
• The 50th India International Knit fair will be held from 12th to 14th October at the India Knit Fair Association complex (IKFA) in Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu.
• The main theme: Active and Sportswear, Environmental Social Governance, Artificial Intelligence and digitalisation.
4. Literary and Arts Fest- 2023
Why in news: Union Minister Arjun Munda inaugurates 4th National Eklavya Model Residential School Cultural, Literary and Arts Fest- 2023
• Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda inaugurated the 4th National Eklavya Model Residential School (EMRS) Cultural, Literary and Arts Fest- 2023 at Dehradun in Uttarakhand.
• The EMRS provides a national platform for tribal students to showcase their talent in various fields.
1. Australia begins Voting in Landmark Referendum
Why in news: Australia begins voting in landmark referendum to recognize country's Indigenous people in its constitution
• Australia has begun early voting in a landmark referendum to recognize the country's Indigenous people in its constitution.
• The historic referendum called "Voice to Parliament", if approved, would recognize Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the country's constitution.
• Australia is the only Commonwealth country that has never signed a treaty with its Indigenous people.
• Any constitutional amendment in the country require a national referendum.
2. Kevin McCarthy
Why in news: US House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy ousted in historic vote
• In an extraordinary showdown, the US House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy has been voted out of the job.
• The 216-to-210 vote marked the first time in history that the House removed its leader, with eight Republicans voting along with 208 Democrats to remove McCarthy.
• The rebellion was led by Representative Matt Gaetz, a far-right Republican from Florida.
• He had accused the party leader of not doing enough to cut federal spending or to stand up to Democratic President Joe Biden.
3. Multinational Armed Force to Haiti
Why in news: UNSC votes to send multinational armed force to Haiti
• The United Nations Security Council has voted to send a multinational armed force to Haiti.
• The deployment of an armed force is expected to restore peace and security to Haiti, which will enable it hold long-awaited general elections.
• The resolution was drafted by the United States and Ecuador.
• Warring gangs control much of Haiti’s capital city of Port-au-Prince and the main port, choking off vital supply lines to the rest of the country.
1. Socio-Economic Assessment of Five Indigenous Muslim Communities in Assam
Why in news: Assam govt to begin process for Socio-Economic Assessment of five indigenous Muslim communities
• The Assam Government has given its in-principle nod to the initiation of the process for Socio-Economic Assessment of the five indigenous Muslim communities - Goria, Moria, Deshi, Syed and Jolha.
• On its completion, the data can be utilised by the Assam government to take steps for comprehensive socio-political, academic and economic uplift for the five indigenous Muslim communities.
Why in news: SAMPRITI-XI Commences in Umroi
• The 11th edition of annual joint military exercise between India and Bangladesh, SAMPRITI begun on October 3, 2023, in Umroi, Meghalaya.
• This exercise highlights the strong bilateral defense cooperation between them.
1. PM SVANidhi Scheme Achieves Momentous Milestone
Why in news: PM SVANidhi scheme achieves momentous milestone of covering over 50 lakh street vendors
• The Prime Minister Street Vendor's AtmaNirbhar Nidhi, PM SVANidhi, scheme has achieved a momentous milestone by extending its support to more than 50 lakh street vendors across the nation.
• Initiative under the aegis of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, the scheme has been instrumental in bringing them into the formal economic fold, presenting fresh avenues for upward mobility.
• Beginning on the 1st of July this year, a campaign was launched by the Ministry, revising the targets to be achieved under the Scheme.
• This collective effort resulted in disbursement of almost 66 lakh loans, with a value exceeding 8,600 crore rupees, to over 50 lakh street vendors.
• The PM SVANidhi Scheme was launched on 1st of June 2020 is a micro-credit scheme for urban street vendors that aims to provide collateral-free working capital loans of up to 50 thousand rupees.
1. Captain Bana Singh
• Param Vir Chakra Awardee Captain Bana Singh has been nominated as ambassador for ‘War Against Waste’ in Jammu & Kashmir.
• As the Ambassador for the "War Against Waste," Captain Bana Singh brings a wealth of experience and a deep commitment to the cause.
• Having served on the front lines to defend the nation, his dedication to safeguarding the environment is unwavering.
1. Shanth Kumar
• K.N. Shanth Kumar, a seasoned media professional, has been elected as the Chairman of the Press Trust of India’s Board of Directors for a one-year term.
• He has been associated with The Printers (Mysore) Pvt. Ltd. since 1983, serving in various roles over the years.
1. 10% Quota for Economically weak group in Judicial Services in Bihar
Why in news: People under the economically weaker section (EWS) category will now get a 10 per cent reservation in the judicial services in Bihar and the state-run law colleges and universities.
• The Bihar government announced 10 per cent reservations for people under the economically weaker section (EWS) category in the judicial services, and the state-run law colleges and universities.
• The reservation will come into effect from the date of the notification of the change.
• The move comes a day after the Bihar government released the first set of data based on the caste survey.
• Which institution organises the ‘South-South Knowledge Sharing Series’- World Bank
• Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying inaugurated the renovated Marine Museum at which city - Vishakhapattnam
• What is the name of the circular RNA virus Scientists at IISER have pinpointed recently - ciTRAN
• As per a recent report, which city emerged as the most central node in tortoise / hard-shell turtle trafficking - Chennai
• Name the state which is the host of ‘Pitra Paksha Mela’ event - Bihar
• Name the institution which released the report titled ‘Methane emissions in livestock and rice systems’ - FAO
• Which state had the highest electricity demand in the country in July 2023 - Uttar Pradesh
• Which Indian state is witnessing a surge in Scrub Typhus - Himachal Pradesh
• In which country scientists have issued a warning about the spread of a parasitic brain worm- ‘Rat lungworm' - USA
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF