1. PM Narendra Modi to launch several projects in Chhattisgarh
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of several development projects worth more than 26 thousand crore rupees in Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh.
• The Prime Minister will also dedicate to the nation the NMDC's greenfield Steel Plant established at Nagarnar in Bastar.
• Besides, the Prime Minister will also dedicate to the nation the new road built between Kunkuri and Chhattisgarh-Jharkhand border on National Highway-45.
2. ‘Khadi Mahotsav’
Why in news: Union Minister Narayan Rane inaugurated ‘Khadi Mahotsav’ in Mumbai
• Union Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Department, Narayan Rane, inaugurated the ‘Khadi Mahotsav’ organized by Khadi and Village Industry (KVIC) in Mumbai.
• The ‘Khadi Mahotsav’ will be held till October 31st.
• It will not only showcase Khadi products but also feature 'Vocal for Local' exhibitions to promote indigenous products.
3. Largest Statue of B R Ambedkar in North America
Why in news: India to unveil largest statue of B R Ambedkar outside at Maryland in North America
• India is all set to unveil the largest statue of B R Ambedkar outside at Maryland in North America on 14th October.
• The 19-foot statue, named Statue of Equality has been made by renowned artist and sculptor Ram Sutar.
• He also constructed the Sardar Patel statue in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
• The statue of Ambedkar, the key architect of India's Constitution built on 13 acres of land in Accokeek city Maryland.
4. Jammu and Kashmir achieved 100 percent villages Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus Status
Why in news: PM Modi lauded Jammu and Kashmir for achieving 100 percent villages ODF Plus status
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi has lauded Jammu and Kashmir for achieving 100 percent villages Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus status in the Model category under Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) phase-2.
• The Union Territory has attained new heights in development and growth after the abrogation of Article 370.
5. Special Swachhata Campaign 3.0
Why in news: Special Swachhata Campaign 3.0 began on 02 October 2023
• A Special Campaign 3.0 began with a focus on Swachhata and reducing pendency in government offices with a saturation approach.
• The campaign coincides with the Birth Anniversary of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
• It will continue till 31st of this month.
6. Shramdaan Event under Swachhata Hi Seva Abhiyaan (SHS) 2023
Why in news: Ministry of Civil Aviation observed Shramdaan event under Swachhata Hi Seva Abhiyaan (SHS) 2023
• Swachhata Hi Seva (SHS) campaign is being celebrated from 15th September to 2nd October this.
• It is being done under the joint aegis of Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) & Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) for undertaking shramdaan and other activities.
• All Organisations under the Ministry of Civil Aviation organised Shramdaan events at various locations led by their respective heads.
1. Presidential Elections in Maldives
Why in news: Dr Mohamed Muizzu won Presidential elections in Maldives
• Dr. Mohamed Muizzu of the opposition PPM PNC coalition has won the Presidential elections in Maldives.
• In the provisional results, Dr. Muizzu was shown to have polled over 53 per cent of the votes.
• Ibrahim Mohammed Solih of the ruling MDP increased his support from 39% in the first round to 46% in the runoff, but fell short of the necessary 50% to win.
2. Southeast Asia's First High-Speed Railway
Why in news: Indonesian president launched Southeast Asia's first high-speed railway, funded by China
• Indonesian President Joko Widodo inaugurated Southeast Asia’s first high-speed railway on October 2.
• It is set to begin commercial operations, a key project under China’s Belt and Road infrastructure initiative that will drastically reduce the travel time between two key cities.
• The railway connects Jakarta with Bandung, the heavily populated capital of West Java province.
1. Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) have raised the prices of aviation Turbine Fuel
Why in news: Prices of flight tickets may rise further as oil marketing companies (OMCs) have raised the prices of aviation turbine fuel by around 5% across the four metro cities.
• This is the fourth straight monthly increase since July, and commercial cooking gas (LPG) rates were raised by a steep Rs 209 per 19-kg cylinder, in line with the firming up seen in international benchmarks.
• However, the price of domestic LPG - the one used in household kitchens for cooking purposes - remained unchanged at Rs 903 per 14.2-kg cylinder.
1. Nobel Prize for Medicine
Why in news: Nobel Prize for Medicine goes to Kariko and Weissman, pioneers of COVID vaccine
• Hungarian scientist Katalin Kariko and U.S. colleague Drew Weissman won the 2023 Nobel Prize for Medicine.
• They had made mRNA molecule discoveries.
• It paved the way for COVID-19 vaccines.
• Kariko, a former senior vice president and head of RNA protein replacement at German biotech firm BioNTech, is a professor at the University of Szeged in Hungary and adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn).
1. Bihar Caste Survey
Why in news: OBCs, EBCs comprise more than 63% of State’s population
• The report which only revealed the caste composition in the State said the Other Backward Class (OBC) population in the State is 27.1286% while, the Extremely Backward Class (EBC) comprises 36.0148%.
• The Scheduled Caste population in Bihar is at 19.6518% while the Scheduled Tribe population is 1.6824% even as the General Caste population stands at 15.5224%.
• With Caste details, the state government has also released the data of religion-based population.
• It says, the major population of Bihar follows Hinduism which accounts around 82 percent of the state demography. The population of Hindu religion is around 10.72 crore.
• The Muslim population stands 17.7 percent and it is 2.31 crore.
• The third largest religion is Christianity followed by Sikhs in the state.
• Which high court has ruled that educational institutions run by religious and linguistic minorities need not follow the rule of reservation with respect to the SC, St and OBC Students - Madras High Court.
• Which state has announced ₹25 lakh each as reward for nine ISRO scientists from the state - Tamil Nadu.
• According to the State of India’s Birds (SOIB) 2023 report, how many species of birds recorded in Tamil Nadu are in a state of decline across the country - Nearly 110 species.
• Which state government will initiate a vaccination programme to prevent cervical cancer - Kerala.
• Which state government is planning to set up a ‘Grama Nyayalaya’ (village court) in each panchayat for resolving disputes within its jurisdiction - Karnataka.
• Indian Air Force (IAF) placed two contracts with which public sector Unit for the indigenous Astra Beyond Visual Range (BVR) air-to-air Missile - Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (BDL).
• Who has announced the setting up of a National Turmeric Board - Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
• World Health Organization (WHO) approved use of R21/Matrix-M vaccine developed by the University of Oxford and the Serum Institute of India, using Novavax’s adjuvant technology. The vaccine is associated with which diesease - Malaria
• U.S. and Philippines have begun annual drills in which disputed sea - South China Sea.
• In Asian Games, Sutirtha Mukherjee and Ayhika Mukherjee won bronze in which descipline - Table Tennis.
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF