1. POCSO Act
Why in news: 22nd Law Commission recommends government to retain existing age of consent under POCSO Act
• 22nd Law Commission has recommended the government to retain the existing age of consent under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
• The current age of consent in India is 18 years.
• It also said that certain amendments need to be brought in the POCSO Act to remedy the situation in cases where there is tacit approval in fact though not consent in law on part of the child aged between 16 to 18 years.
2. Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and Technology & Bharatiya Bhasha Summit
Why in news: Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan to launch Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and Technology & Bharatiya Bhasha Summit in New Delhi
• Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan will launch Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and Technology and Bharatiya Bhasha Summit in New Delhi today.
• The two-day summit aims to set course for a technologically enriched future for Bharatiya languages in education.
3. Development Works worth 1,600 Crore Rupees in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Why in news: Home Minister Amit Shah to inaugurate development works worth 1,600 crore rupees in Gandhinagar, Gujarat
• Home Minister Amit Shah will inaugurate development works worth 1,600 crore rupees in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
• The Home Minister will also inaugurate the permanent campus of National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research at Palaj in Gandhinagar.
4. A Multi-aircraft Fly Past at Bhopal
Why in news: Indian Airforce to carry out a multi-aircraft fly past at Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh
• Indian Airforce will carry out a multi-aircraft fly past at Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh today on the occasion of 91st anniversary celebration.
• Madhya Pradesh Governor Mangu Bhai Patel will be the Chief Guest of the event.
• The event will also be attended by Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal VS Chaudhari and other military & civilian dignitaries.
5. 5G Training Labs and 5G Applications in all North Eastern States
Why in news: Union Minister G. Kishan Reddy launches 5G training labs and 5G applications in all North Eastern States
• The Minister for Development of North East Region, Tourism, and Culture, G. Kishan Reddy, yesterday launched India's first 5G training labs and 5G applications in Health sector in all the North Eastern States.
• The project is centrally funded through North East Council (NEC) and being implemented by Assam Electronic Development Corporation (AMTRON), a PSU of Assam government.
6. Women's Reservation Bill
Why in news: President Droupadi Murmu grants assent to Women's Reservation Bill
• President Droupadi Murmu has given her assent to the Women's Reservation Bill which was passed by both the Houses during the recent special session of Parliament.
• The Central government has issued a gazette notification for the legislation which is also called Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam.
• After the President's assent, now the legislation has become a law.
• The law provides for 33 percent reservation to women in the Lok Sabha and State Assemblies as well as Delhi Assembly.
• 33 percent reservation for women belonging to SCs and STs will also be provided within the existing quota for this category.
1. Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant
Why in news: First shipment of uranium for Rooppur nuclear power plant arrives in Bangladesh
• The first batch of fresh uranium, the nuclear fuel of the first unit of Rooppur nuclear power plant (RNPP), has arrived in Bangladesh.
• The consignment of uranium arrived in Dhaka from Russia yesterday through a special air cargo.
• Rosatom as a Russian contractor has been engaged in building the 2400 MW Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (RNPP) having two units, each capacity 1200 MW.
2. China Launches First Cross-Sea Bullet Train
Why in news: China launches first cross-sea bullet train line near Taiwan Strait
• It is China's first cross-sea, rapid line with bullet trains that will travel over bridges across three coastal bays and hit top speeds of 350 km per hour (218 mph).
• This railway, known as the Fuzhou-Xiamen-Zhangzhou railway, not only traverses several bays but also hugs the picturesque coastline of Fujian province, located near the Taiwan Strait.
3. Vulcan 20-20 Project in UK
Why in news: The UK is undertaking a project to create the world’s most powerful laser, called “Vulcan 20-20
• Vulcan 20-20 will require an £85 million investment.
• This laser, anticipated to be a million billion times brighter than the sun, is expected to have profound implications for various scientific fields, including clean energy and cancer treatment.
1. Govt Revises Interest Rates for Small Saving Schemes
Why in news: Govt revises interest rates for small saving schemes for 3rd quarter of this fiscal starting from 1st October
• The government revised the interest rates for small saving schemes for the third quarter of this fiscal starting from 1st of October.
• According to the Finance Ministry, the five year recurring deposit will now fetch 6.7 percent interest rate against the existing 6.5 percent rate.
2. Google Play Billing System
Why in news: 40 Indian Startups Come Together Against Google Play Billing System
• 40 Indian startups and companies have joined forces to challenge Google, specifically focusing on its Google Play Billing System (GPBS).
• This collective initiative has been brought together under the aegis of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
• Google’s GPBS has mandated that all in-app purchases must go through its payment gateway, along with imposing a 30 percent commission on such transactions.
• However, a ruling by the Competition Commission of India (CCI) led Google to replace GPBS with a user-choice billing system in India.
1. Pipe Composting in Assam
Why in news: A Unique Way Of Converting Biodegradable Waste into Manure in two months
• Endorsing a technology that is simple and effective for the disposal of biodegradable waste at the household level, Assam is actively promoting pipe composting among its rural communities during the ongoing Swachhata Hi Seva campaign.
• This environmentally friendly method has proven to be a viable and efficient way to handle organic waste.
1. Hike in Minimum Wages in Bihar
Why in news: A hike of minimum 7 to 11 rupees in the minimum wages in Bihar
• According to the notification issued by Labour Resource department, there is an increase of almost 2 percent in minimum wages in Bihar.
• Which state/UT launched a clean district ranking drive called Most Outstanding District Initiative - Assam
• Kishore Jena, who was seen in the news, is associated with which sports - Javelin Throw
• Which Ministry extended the deadline for enabling Aadhaar-based payment for MGNREGA workers - Ministry of rural development
• Which country’s cricket board announced to equalise women’s match fees with men’s team - Britain
• CrossLinx accelerator programme’ is associated with USA and which country - India
• Which state has decided to curb fake news on social media - Karnataka
• In the August 2023, the number of UPI transactions performed is - 10 billion
• What is the name of the blockchain-based project launched by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) - Falcon
• Which country’s glaciers are facing an alarming crisis, with figures revealing that they have lost a staggering ten per cent of their ice volume
• Which state has achieved a remarkable feat by attaining 100% Open Defecation Free (ODF) Plus status across its 95,767 villages - Uttar Pradesh
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF