1. Sankalp Saptaah
Why in news: PM Modi to launch week-long programme 'Sankalp Saptaah' for Aspirational Blocks on Sep 30
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch a week-long programme for Aspirational Blocks in the country called Sankalp Saptaah in New Delhi.
• Sankalp Saptaah is linked to the effective implementation of Aspirational Blocks Programme ABP.
• The nationwide programme was launched by the Prime Minister on 7th January this year to improve governance at the block level and enhance the quality of life of citizens.
• It is being implemented in 500 Aspirational Blocks across 329 districts.
2. 4th Edition of Indo-Latin America Cultural Festival
Why in news: 4th edition of Indo-Latin America Cultural Festival organised by ICCR begins in New Delhi
• The fourth edition of Indo-Latin America Cultural Festival organised by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) began in New Delhi .
• Total 34 artists of three countries - Colombia, Ecuador and Chile are participating in the two-day festival.
• The festival is bringing together key stakeholders from India and Latin America to deliberate on the prospects of cultural and educational collaborations.
3. Tashkent International Film Festival in Uzbekistan
Why in news: MoS for I&B Dr L Murugan to lead Indian delegation to Tashkent International Film Festival in Uzbekistan
• Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Dr L Murugan led an Indian Delegation to the Tashkent International Film Festival at Tashkent in Uzbekistan.
• Known as the Pearl of The Silk Road, the Tashkent International Film Festival was started in 1968 and Indian film Amrapali was screened in the opening edition of the festival.
• India’s participation in TIFFEST is on the theme ‘Showcasing India’s Creative Economy,’ given by Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur.
4. MS Swaminathan Passes Away
Why in news: Father of Green Revolution in India, MS Swaminathan passes away in Chennai
• Swaminathan brought a social revolution through his policies to rescue India from famine-like circumstances in the 1960s.
• He founded the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation and played a vital role in developing high-yield variety seeds of wheat.
• It led to the green revolution in India.
• Albert Einstein World Science Award in 1986
• The first World Food Prize in 1987
• Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement in 1991
• The Planet and Humanity Medal of International Geographical Union in 2000.
• Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan.
5. Bhartiya Bhasha Utsav
Why in news: Bhartiya Bhasha Utsav, a 75 day-long event to celebrate Indian languages was organised in Lucknow
• Padma shree awardees and representatives of different Indian languages are taking part in the program which includes Bahubhashi Sangoshthi i.e. Multi-laguage conference and play based on Ramayana.
• The festival will continue from 28 September to 11 December which is birthday of Famous Tamil poet Subrahmanyam Bharti and celebrated as Indian Languages day.
1. Sir Michael Gambon Dies
Why in news: Harry Potter actor Sir Michael Gambon dies at 82
• Harry Potter actor Sir Michael Gambon died at the age of 82.
• Sir Michael was best known for playing Professor Albus Dumbledore in six of the eight Harry Potter films.
• He also appeared in Fantastic Mr. Fox, played French detective Maigret, and starred in The Singing Detective.
2. North Korea to Bolster & Expand Nuclear Force
Why in news: North Korea amends constitution to bolster & expand nuclear force
• North Korea has amended its constitution to bolster and expand its nuclear force.
• The country's parliament added the law into North Korea’s constitution.
• It was passed by North Korea’s Supreme People’s Assembly (SPA), where leader Kim Jong Un addressed participants and called the move a historic event.
3. Submarine Narwhal
Why in news: Taiwan unveils first domestically developed submarine
• Taiwan has unveiled its first domestically developed submarine. The vessel was officially named “Narwhal” in English and “Hai Kun” in Mandarin.
• Narwhal is expected to enter service in 2025, joining two existing submarines purchased from the Netherlands in the 1980s.
1. Air India completes Acquisition of its Aircraft
Why in news: Air India completed acquisition of its first A350 aircraft through GIFT City
• Air India has completed the acquisition of its first A350-900 aircraft by way of a finance lease transaction with HSBC through the GIFT City.
• This is also the first wide body aircraft to be leased through the GIFT City, the country's first International Financial Services Centre (IFSC).
• The airline has ordered six A350-900 planes and five of them are scheduled for delivery through March 2024.
RANKS and INDICES:
1. Global Innovation Index 2023
Why in news: India retains 40th rank in Global Innovation Index 2023
• India has retained 40th rank in the Global Innovation Index 2023 out of 132 economies in the Global Innovation Index 2023.
• India has been on a rising trajectory over the past several years in the Global Innovation Index, from a rank of 81 in 2015 to 40 in 2023.
1. World Heart Day, 29 September
Why in news: Today is World Heart Day which is observed every year on 29th of September
• The day is observed every year on 29th of September to raise public awareness about cardiovascular diseases their prevention and their global impact.
• World Heart Day was launched by the World Heart Federation (WHF), a non-governmental organisation established in 1972 in at Geneva in Switzerland.
• This year the theme is - 'Use Heart, Know Heart'.
1. India's Shooting Trio wins Gold
Why in news: India's shooting trio wins gold in 50m rifle men's 3P, sets world record
• The men's 50m rifle 3-positions team, comprising the young trio of Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar (591), Swapnil Kusale (591) and Akhil Sheoran (587), overcame the Chinese challenge with ease with a score of 1769 to take the gold.
• Esha Singh-led women's 10m air pistol trio bagged a silver at the Asian Games.
1. MoUs signed between U'khand and UK
Why in news: MoUs for investments worth Rs 3,000 cr in U'khand signed in UK
• An MoU for investment worth Rs 2,000 crore was signed with Aager Technology and another for investment worth Rs 1,000 crore with Fira Barcelona.
• Aager Technology will invest in Lithium battery plants in the state.
• Fira Barcelona is an European group engaged in event management with expertise in organising world-class business fairs.
• Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami is currently on tour of the UK to invite investors.
1. Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar’s Bihar Visit
Why in news: Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar to visit Bihar on 29th September
• The vice president will offer prayers and ‘pinddaan’ at Vishnupad temple.
• After that, he will perform ‘tarpan’.
• He will interact with the students and faculty members of Nalanda University at an open house session
2. Nalanda Ethanol Plant
Why in news: CM Nitish inaugurated fatehli (Bihar sharif) ethanol plant
• CM Nitish inaugurated fatehli (Bihar sharif) ethanol plant in the Nalanda district
• It will produce 60 thousand ethanol daily.
• The set up will also generate employment in a significant manner.
• In which state Educational Achievement survey is going to test as many as 3.2 lakh students in 10,789 schools-Kerala.
• Which ministry is going to notify key changes to TV network rules- Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry
• ‘Toto Shabda Sangraha’ Dictionary is set to be released to save which Sino-Tibetan language from extinction-Toto.
• Bhartiya Bhasha Utsav, a 75 day-long event to celebrate Indian languages was started in which city-Lucknow.
• India’s current account deficit (CAD) widened to USD 9.2 billion in the April-June quarter which is what percent of GDP-1.1% of GDP).
• Which country has announced to hike its defence spending by 70% in 2024-Russia.
• Which oil giant announced its first global deal in LNG market-Saudi Aramco.
• Muhammed Anas and Amoj Jacob, who were in the news, are associated with which sports-Relay
• The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is going to construct 25-mw solar power plant in which state-Tamilnadu
• Going by the ‘Air Quality Life Index (AQLI) Annual Update 2023’, poor air quality decreases the average Indian’s life expectancy by what duration-5.1 years
Click here to download Current Affairs English PDF
Click here to download Current Affairs Hindi PDF